Columbia, MD Veterans Medical Malpractice Claims
Those who honorably serve our country in any branch of the US military deserve quality health care from VA hospitals, clinics and health care providers. Unfortunately, there are some who fall short of their duties and cause serious harm to veterans. It may come as a relief to know that you do have legal remedies if you or a loved one was affected by veteran medical malpractice. The Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA) allows you to seek monetary damages for your losses, though the legal process can be complicated.
Bertling Law Group is prepared to tackle the challenges involved with FTCA claims, as our team has decades of combined experience advocating on behalf of veterans and active duty military members. Please contact our office today to set up a free case review with a skilled Columbia, MD veterans medical malpractice lawyer who can provide details based upon your unique situation. You can also read on for some important information about the laws.
To recover monetary damages in a medical malpractice claim, you need to prove four essential elements:
- Your injuries were caused by a VA employee, such as a physician, nurse, physical therapist, surgeon, or other provider;
- The VA employee was acting within the scope of his or her duties;
- The VA provider was negligent or otherwise failed to adhere to appropriate medical standards of care; and
- The negligent or careless misconduct of the VA employee was the direct cause of your injuries.
Some of the most common forms of veteran medical malpractice include misdiagnosis, medication errors, birth injuries and negligent prenatal care, surgical mistakes, and careless acts leading to infection. If you can prove the elements described above, you may be entitled to recover amounts for medical treatment, pain and suffering, emotional distress, and many other damages.
Legal Help with Veterans Medical Malpractice Claims
While FTCA does provide you with remedies, you must first go through the administrative process before filing a lawsuit. It is critical to have assistance from a Columbia, MD veterans medical malpractice lawyer, especially since your damages are limited to what you claim at this first stage. You may be able to agree on a fair amount, but you might need to sue in court if you cannot settle. The Bertling Law Group will help with:
- Collecting evidence;
- Calculating damages to ensure you seek the proper amount of compensation;
- Preparing documentation to file an FTCA claim for veterans medical malpractice;
- Negotiating settlement with the federal government;
- Filing a lawsuit in federal court if unable to reach an agreement; and
- Assisting with all litigation tasks, up to and including trial.
You Can Rely on Our Columbia, MD Veterans Medical Malpractice Attorneys
A summary of your remedies under FTCA is useful, but it takes in-depth knowledge of the laws and legal process to ensure you receive fair compensation for your losses. To learn more, please contact Bertling Law Group at 844-295-7558 or via our website. We can schedule a no-cost initial consultation to review your circumstances and advise you on next steps.