Albuquerque Veterans Medical Malpractice Claims
The vast majority of VA hospitals, clinics, and health care providers take their duty to provide quality care very seriously, but there are some that breach the standard of care when treating patients. When they do, a veteran could suffer serious bodily harm, along with associated emotional and financial losses. Contrary to some assumptions about taking legal action against the government for veterans medical malpractice, it is possible to recover compensation under the Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA). While it is comforting to know that you have remedies, enforcing your rights involves a complicated process and numerous legal requirements. You can count on Bertling Law Group to guide you and tackle all essential tasks to ensure you receive fair monetary damages. Please contact our firm to schedule a no-cost consultation with an Albuquerque veterans medical malpractice attorney who will describe how an FTCA claim works. You can also read on for some background information.
Basics on FTCA
While your remedies fall under this federal statute, you will still need to prove the essential elements of a medical malpractice claim. You need evidence showing that a VA physician, nurse, surgeon, mental health professional, or other provider was acting within the scope of duties when treating you. You must also have proof that negligence by a provider was the reason that you suffered harm. Examples of negligence in a veterans med mal claim include:
- Inaccurate or delayed diagnosis;
- False-positive or false-negative diagnosis of cancer;
- Failure to provide proper pregnancy care and medical support during delivery, leading to birth injuries;
- Surgical mistakes;
- Prescription and medication errors;
- Failing to provide essential mental health services to prevent suicide; and,
- Negligent policies regarding hygiene and sanitation, which often leads to sepsis, septic shock, and other health care acquired infection.
Damages for Victims of Veterans Medical Malpractice
When you have solid proof that meets the requirements for a medical negligence claim, you may qualify to recover compensation for your medical costs, lost income, pain and suffering, and many other losses. Bertling Law Group is prepared to support you throughout the legal process, starting with filing an FTCA claim. We must attempt to settle under the law on exhaustion of administrative remedies, but we will sue in court as necessary to obtain fair monetary damages.
Our Albuquerque veterans medical malpractice attorneys will handle such essential tasks as:
- Collecting evidence of negligence;
- Assessing your medical records;
- Accurately calculating damages, since you are limited to the compensation you allege in your initial claim;
- Submitting essential forms and supporting documentation regarding VA medical malpractice;
- Discussing settlement;
- Filing a lawsuit in court and representing you during litigation.
An Albuquerque Veterans Medical Malpractice Lawyer Will Protect Your Rights
At Bertling Law Group, our firm’s core practice area is representing veterans and active duty military who suffered harm through VA medical malpractice. We are prepared to take on the challenges as we fight to get compensation for your losses, so please contact our firm to learn more about our legal services. You can set up a free consultation by calling 844-295-7558 or visiting us online.